Boarders have left a tanker believed to have been seized off the coast of the United Arab Emirates, Britain’s maritime trade agency reported on Wednesday morning.
Three maritime security forces had told Reuters on Tuesday that the Asphalt Princess tanker had been seized by suspected Iranian-backed forces, which Iran denied.
The AIS tracking status of the Asphalt Princess was “underway using engine” early on Wednesday, according to Refinitiv ship tracking data.
The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said what it described on Tuesday as a potential hijack incident was now “complete” and the vessel involved was safe, but gave no further details in a warning notice based on a third-party source. It did not name the vessel involved.
The incident took place in an area in the Arabian Sea leading to the Strait of Hormuz, the conduit for about one-fifth of the world’s sea-borne oil exports.
The Independent has contacted the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office for more information.
Tensions in the region are high after an attack last week on an Israeli-managed tanker off the Omani coast killed two crew members and was blamed on Iran by the United States, Israel and Britain. Iran has denied responsibility.